Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Something I learned from playing LIFE

I will always lose. Always. Liz will win and I will lose.

As far as nostalgia goes, I'm not sure I'll ever really get the full effect, because I'd never played the game when I was younger. It does faintly bring up memories of playing boardgames with my family when I was a kid. Monopoly, Yahtzee, Clue, Battleship... they all live in a particular space in my memories. Those games work in our memories this way because of their design, because of the aesthetic of their boxes, game pieces, board spaces, the lettering and wording of the cards, dice... even the smell when you open the box or pass out the money or real estate. The feeling of those little houses in your palm, the cold metal of the famous Monopoly game pieces (I'm always the Scottie dog!), the clatter of dice in the Yahtzee cup... these types of experiences are very physical experiences, not just mental, not purely cerebral happenings.

No comments: